Sunday, August 20, 2006

 

From Wikipedia

Intertextuality is the shaping of texts' meanings by other texts. It can refer to an author’s borrowing and transformation of a prior text or to a reader’s referencing of one text in reading another. The term “intertextuality” has, itself, been borrowed and transformed many times since it was coined by poststructuralist Julia Kristeva in 1966. As critic William Irwin says, the term “has come to have almost as many meanings as users, from those faithful to Kristeva’s original vision to those who simply use it as a stylish way of talking about allusion and influence” (Irwin, 228).


If you find this definition confusing, click over to the full wiki entry. You'll find some history on this term that makes more sense to those of us with an interest in the Bible.

I also think of it as a "stylish way" of thinking about myself in relationship to other people, and especially, as an avid reader, in relationship to these little treasure boxes called 'books' that I so love. (The few people who have influenced me more than books, I could easily count on my fingers--minus my thumbs.)

I talk to books, and books talk to me. I talk to The Book, and baby, does The Book talk to me. And I just love that word...intertexual. There's something about interconnectedness there that speaks to me as a Christian, as a human.

But don't be scared. I promise I'm not going to throw out too many big words here. (Frankly, just mention 'semiotics' and my head starts spinning; it's one of the reasons I didn't pursue a master's in English.) And I won't try to bowl anyone over with my brilliance. I shine like a little appliance bulb, not much like the 500 watt power of say, a reviewer over at Powell's. There's nothing to fear here. I'll keep it simple; I'll keep it bright enough to everyday use.

See you again soon!

Comments:
i just had a glance at your post. the whole world is becoming intertexual. all the disciplines are now 'criticised' at their root. so what is your argument against intertexuality? just that the definition is in "big words". Certain things cannot be said in simple words, I'm sorry.
 
Throw forth the big words! We'd love to hear what you have to say in whatever words you've got!
 
ground zero: Hey there! I think you did 'glance' at the post because I have nothing against intertextuality and I think I made that clear. Actually, I do recognize that most forms of information and entertainment are indeed becoming increasingly intertextualized. (With the world as open as it is, how can we not move toward the co-mingling and cross-referencing of ideas and cultural referents?)

However most the readers who'll stop by are not interested in academic level lit crit, but are, rather, everyday folks who are interested in a good book. A few of them may actually be only invested in root sources and not much interested in the expanding interconnectedness of our lives. Others may find the blog interesting for the same reasons I do.

In any case, I hope they'll find the title interesting, and stick around long enough to spare a moment and share their thoughts.

Thanks for stopping by!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?